Wednesday, January 27, 2010

DrawingFlies 52_05 Flashback PT Nymph


Drawing Flies 52_05 Flashback PT Nymph-Watercolor and Gouache in Moleskine sketchbook.

Original status: Available. Contact me for information.

Swing by Jason's blog to check out his rendition of the of the Flashback PT Nymph!

Tech Info- I have to admit that I really struggled with this one. I barely made it within the time limit. I was shooting for a dramatically top lit image of the fly. I am not thrilled with the composition, it is off balance. I also used small brushes instead of my larger ones. Using larger brushes forces me to loosen up and avoid getting to detail oriented too quick. I was too tight too quick and it was a time eater. It was just an off day and I struggled with the small size. There is always next week. I also feel the need to mix it up and try a different style. We will see what happens as next week comes around. As an experiment, I may try to rescue this image and will repost the results.

Update 1: Seems like Jason was feeling the same about his fly. Although I disagree. I like the simple straightforward and color qualities of his image. Just like the pattern itself. I also dig the colors and the fact that this fly looks like it can go zero to sixty in .09876 seconds!

Up for next week will be the Muddler Minnow.

Below are the three minute warm up sketches I did before I started painting.



Final shot from the drawing board.

4 comments:

Peter Gander said...

Well, it looks good to me :) Fly aside, you have just given me a handy painting tip without knowing it! Having a soft towel right under your artwork when using a mop for the excess water (I use squirrel size 16!) is a great idea!

Jason Borger said...

Jeff—Seems that we both had different ideas in our heads than showed up on paper. None-the-less, the more I look, the more I like, and I really do find your work to be the most appealing to me yet. Looking fortward to next Thursday, my friend!

Matthew said...

Your peacock rendering is awesome. I cheated and had my 5 year old draw mine this week :) http://undertheaspens.blogspot.com/2010/01/drawing-flies-52-week-5-flashback.html

Jeff (trout bum) said...

Pete-Glad I could pass on a tip. The towel comes in handy for managing the water.

Jason-Thanks much brother!

Matthew-You have a budding artist on your hands. Make sure you nurture that drive so she keeps on drawing!